This Page

has been moved to new address

Deviled Eggs

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Eclecticisms: Deviled Eggs

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Deviled Eggs

They sound so evil but taste so delicious! These bad boys are great as finger food, a snack, breakfast, pretty much anytime food is involved really. I'm surprised I hadn't made these before, since they're super easy and pretty quick!


Ingredients
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut lengthwise

¼ cup Light Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing (I used regular mayo)
½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
½ teaspoon white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Paprika for garnish


Boil the eggs. I've read (and found to be true) that older eggs tend to work best for hard boiling. The shells are porous, and the older the egg, the more air has been able to penetrate the shell, helping avoid sticking when you are peeling them.

Although there are several ways to boil eggs (which I had no idea of until about 2 years ago), the method I prefer is to put the eggs in cold water (with at least an inch of water covering them) and bring the water to a rolling boil. Remove from heat, and let sit for 15-20 minutes (covered!). After the eggs are done, either let them soak in ice water for a bit or keep under cold running water. This not only cools them, but stops them from cooking any further.






 Remove the egg yolks by slicing each egg in half and popping out the center. Depending on how they were sitting in the egg, the white may be a bit thin in parts- be extra gentle with those. Other than that, it's easy to do.




Mix the mayonnaise, mustard powder, vinegar, salt and pepper together.




Mash up the yolks into the mayo mixture until smooth.



Fill the empty egg white shells with the mixture and sprinkle lightly with paprika.





Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to one day before serving, OR, eat immediately like I do! I actually think I prefer them at room temperature or even a bit warm, as opposed to chilled.

Bon Appetite!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At August 4, 2010 at 9:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Just a heads up, David's on his way over to eat that entire plate. =)

 
At August 5, 2010 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Leslie said...

I love deviled eggs - we had a picnic the other day and someone made deviled eggs with curry. They were pretty good, but I think I prefer eggs without!

 
At August 8, 2010 at 7:32 AM , Blogger Juliea said...

I LOVE deviled eggs....but about 3 hours later they really do bring out the devil in me. ;)

 

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home