This Page

has been moved to new address

Fondue (And where the hell I have been...)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Eclecticisms: Fondue (And where the hell I have been...)

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fondue (And where the hell I have been...)

Oh boy, it's been awhile. It's been too hot lately to bake on most days here in Chicago and without a good recipe to talk about I've pretty much neglected my blog, even though blogging really has become a passion of mine. I think I'm at a point where I need to start getting thoughts together for my "non-food" blogs, but contrary to that point, I'm back with a fondue recipe.

First a couple of things to catch anyone up, whether I know you or if you're just interested. (Or both!)

To begin, I saw Patty Griffin last Friday with my friend Dana and the show was phenomenal. The only other show I've seen that's moved me as much as this was when I saw Neil Young live and accoustic several years back. (I don't know if anything can top that, but this show came damn close.) I was in the best mood for days after this show. She played with Buddy Miller, who I'd never heard of but have developed a huge respect for and am starting to listen to now. If you've never heard of her, you probably know a few of her songs. The Dixie Chicks covered her songs Truth #2, Let Him Fly, and Top of the World. Recently, Crystal Bowersox did a version of her song Up to the Mountain (MLK Song) on American Idol. If you haven't heard her, I HIGHLY suggest you check her out... she is painfully good.

I've also beeen dealing with some health issues. I've had some stomach problems and had to go for an endoscopy this week, which meant that I had to deal with an IV. I'm terrified of IV's, blood tests, shots, etc. (Tattoos however, cause me no trouble, which makes no sense really.) So far everything looks ok, and I'm past the needles and being knocked out, so I'm getting back into my normal routine for now.

So, between these things along with general summer activites that are keeping me busy, I made some fondue for the first time with a friend a couple of weeks ago. Anyone who reads my blog would be justified in thinking I'm a sweets kind of girl, but my one true love has always been, and will always be, cheese. I bought a fondue pot about 7 years ago with plans to make fondue that weekend! (Bold, because I was super into it and probably told about 50 people that I was so exicted to make fondue.) Like so many things I get hyped up about, it didn't happen. Nor did it happen the next week. Nor the next year. Or the next. After about 3 years I finally bought a fuel can to use with plans to make fondue THAT weekend! (Again, I was excited.) It didn't happen. Nor did it happen the next week. See a pattern? Such is my life. Finally, after many years and many moves, I made an white cheese and herb fondue (that we tweaked) that turned out pretty damn good, though I didn't use my fondue pot. (See below.)

Here is the original recipe's link. My version is slightly different.

Ingredients:

4 oz. Romano Cheese (Next time I'd use the Asiago it calls for or Parmesan- something with a bit less bite to it.)
4 oz. CreamCheese, softenen and cut into cubes
4 oz. Goat Cheese
1 Tbsp Flour (a bit more if your cheese seems thin for any reason)
3/4 Cp Dry White Wine
1 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
Pinch of Onion Powder
4 cloves garlic (One food I am supposed to avoid now. Bah.)
2 Tbsp Minced fresh basil
1 Tbsp Minced fresh Chives
Pinch of dried Lemon Grass


Step One: Find all parts of fondue pot.
Step Two: Realize that the fuel can you bought 4 years ago for the fondue pot you bought 7 years ago is the wrong size. Too big. Shit.
Step Three: Tell yourself (your "I''ve had a bit of wine" self) that this will be a learning experience, perfect for blogging about. Your readers will thank you! (Or so you tell yourself.)

Grate up the asiago


Combine Romano, cream cheese, goat cheese and flour; mix well to coat cheese with flour. Set aside.




In a medium/large sauce pan (I used a huge pot... don't ask me why) combine white wine, lime juice, onion powder and garlic; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low.






Add cheese-flour mixture by handfuls to saucepan, whisking constantly after each addition until cheese is melted.



Remove from heat. Stir in basil, chives and lemongrass. (I'm SO glad that it's summer and I can grab herbs right out of my garden for FREE!) Transfer to fondue pot (aka a regular bowl) and serve with your choice of dippers. A few ideas are broccoli, cauliflower, rye/white bread (cut into small pieces), apples, carrots... the options are pretty endless. I mean, there aren't that many foods that don't taste good dipped in cheese!




I had the leftovers on some pasta, and it tasted great! It sort of resembled a thinner yet fancier mac and cheese. I'm looking forward to getting the right sized fuel can and trying my actual fondue pot.

Happy cheese-eating!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At June 28, 2010 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Elliot said...

Mmm, fondue. Take cheese, combine with more cheese! Impossible to go too wrong that way...

 
At July 7, 2010 at 11:09 AM , Blogger mia said...

Patti Griffin and Buddy Miller~great combo! You should also give a listen to Julie Miller, Buddy's wife~awesome singer/songwriter! Thanks for the recipes!

 

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home