This Page

has been moved to new address

Shipwreck Casserole

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Eclecticisms: Shipwreck Casserole

Monday, January 10, 2011

Shipwreck Casserole

I've found another perk to blogging... making new friends! I met Kiersten through blogging (via a blog hop I think...) and we are from the same area, both love to blog and are both vegetarian. We decided to do "challenges" together, and our first was making a meat casserole, using a meat substitute. When I saw what she'd picked for me I wasn't 100% sure I'd like it. It sounded pretty good, but I hadn't had baked beans in years (they always seem to have pork or bacon) and couldn't remember how much I liked them. This casserole reminded me that baked beans are de-LISH and the flavors in this are perfect together!

Check out Kiersten's blog here!

Here is the link to the recipe she sent me.

Ingredients

1 lb ground beef (one package of Morning Star crumbles... SO good!)
4 potatoes (organic), thinly sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 can (14 oz) baked beans (organic)
1 can (10 oz) tomato soup (I used organic tomato bisque)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Begin by sauteing your onions until partially cooked. Add the Morning Star Crumbles and cook until they are slightly browned.




While the "meat" and onions are cooking, thinly slice up your potatoes. I used about 6 small ones. This recipe didn't specify the size, so I got extra to be safe. As long as you have enough to cover the bottom of your casserole dish, you're good.


Cover the bottom of the dish with your potatoes. Lightly salt and pepper this layer, if desired. I found this added more than enough flavor, and will probably omit the salt and pepper next time. (Using organic ingredients almost surely boosted the flavor, so if you don't go organic you may need more salt/pepper.)



Once the meat and onions have cooked, evenly spread them over the potato layer.



Spread the baked beans over the "meat" layer.


Now evenly pour the can of tomato soup over the entire casserole.



Baked uncovered for 1 hour at 375. Your house will smell fantastic and everyone will be asking "how much longer?"!





Enjoy!

I'm very excited for my next challenge with Kiersten and hope the next one is as successful!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At January 10, 2011 at 8:41 PM , Blogger Miss Sara said...

I like one dish meals... so easy & I'm a leftover gal...things taste better the next day to me. I dunno why. LOL but I'll give this a try. Thanks! :)

 
At January 11, 2011 at 12:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love me an easy recipe! Is it bad that I want to smother it with cheese though? Mmm, cheese!

 
At January 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM , Blogger BEadECLECTIC said...

I was VERY tempted to add cheese (my favorite food) but trust me, this doesn't need it. The cheese would be too much and take away from the other great flavors!

 
At January 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM , Blogger Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

Oh, so annoying--I just tried to post a comment and I accidentally hit the Groupon ad and lost the comment. I am so inept sometimes.

Anyway! I'm really relieved that you liked it! I'm going to have to make this soon too. I know we have a stray can of veggie baked beans in the kitchen. You totally wouldn't think it tastes as good as it does from the ingredients.

 
At January 13, 2011 at 7:07 AM , Blogger danielle @ take heart said...

delish! i need to try this :)

 
At January 15, 2011 at 1:10 PM , Blogger KM said...

this sounds really yummy..must try it!

http://livingwiththemartins.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home