This Page

has been moved to new address

The Type A Housewife (Guest Post!)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Eclecticisms: The Type A Housewife (Guest Post!)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Type A Housewife (Guest Post!)

Thanks very much to Kiersten, for doing my first guest post! If you haven't checked out her blog, definitely do so! (And if you haven't entered the giveaway she is hosting for my Etsy shop... do that while you're there!)

Now on to the delicious recipe!


Do you remember that awful Canadian kids show that was on in the 1980s, You Can't Do That On Television?  One of the frequent punchlines on that show was the lowly lima bean.  In the family skits, the mom (who always wore yellow dishwashing gloves), would make lima beans for dinner and everyone would cringe at the thought of eating them.  Gross, lima beans!


Poor oft-maligned lima beans!  Personally, I always liked lima beans.  I don't know why so many people find them offensive.  My husband has never liked them either and whenever I want to make a recipe with lima beans, he instantly shoots it down.  So imagine my surprise when he actually suggested making something with lima beans as a major player--Lima Bean, Mint and Garlic Hummus from the September 2010 issue of Vegetarian Times.  As for me, even though I like lima beans, I have to admit I was a little bit skeptical about this recipe.  Mint and garlic?  Together?  Hmm…

I was wrong, though, because this recipe turned out to be really yummy.  It had a color and consistency similar to edamame hummus.  The amount of mint in the recipe was just enough to lend a bright flavor to the hummus, but not so much that it felt like eating a breathmint.  And the garlic was not overly assertive either.  This recipe makes enough for four servings--I served it with celery sticks and sea salt flavored PopCorners.  A perfect snack or light bento lunch!


Lima Bean, Mint, and Garlic Hummus (from Vegetarian Times)

1-12 oz. pkg frozen baby lima beans, rinsed and drained
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 Tbs. lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint


1.  Cook lima beans in saucepan with 1/2 cup water 6 minutes.  Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes.  Rinse under cold water, and drain.

2.  Puree lima beans with oil, lime juice, and garlic in food processor until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and add mint.  Pulse 30 seconds to combine.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home