This Page

has been moved to new address

Roasted Asparagus with Shitake Mushrooms

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Eclecticisms: Roasted Asparagus with Shitake Mushrooms

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Roasted Asparagus with Shitake Mushrooms

Do you want a recipe for a fantastic main dish that doesn't contain pasta or rice? "Wait! I need pasta or rice for this to be a meal!", you say? False. "How will the dish be complete?", you ask? I've been there. Just trust me on this.


You all know that I move shitake mushrooms. If you didn't know that, well... I love them. They're one of the most perfect foods out there, as far as I'm concerned. Mushrooms haters, back off. You're missing out and I don't want to hear it!



I made a few changes to this Bon Appetit recipe, but nothing substantial. This main dish (serves 2) is rich in flavor and completely filling when served with a salad or soup. You can also serve it as a side, if you'd like (serves 4). I had it as my main course with some Thai soup. Yum.

Ingredients

1 pound medium asparagus, tough ends trimmed
2 teaspoons olive oil
3.5 tablespoons butter
1 large shallot, minced
12 ounces shitake mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 teaspoon dried tarragon + a bit more to sprinkle on the veggies, if desired
1 tsp dried Chervil
salt and pepper
Garlic Salt (optional)


Pre-heat your oven to 475. On a medium cookie sheet, lay out the asparagus and drizzle with the olive oil. Turn to coat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. (I omitted the pepper.) Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until desired tenderness. (This dish tastes best when the asparagus isn't too limp.)


While that cooks, melt the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat and add the minced shallot. Cook for a minute or two and add shitake mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms have begun to release their juices. Cover, and cook 3 minutes more.

When the mushrooms are ready, add white wine and cook until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add dried herbs and garlic salt (sparingly, adjust to taste). Serve the mushrooms over the asparagus.


Enjoy! This dish smells so good cooking that your neighbors will beat down your door if they catch a whiff. OK, maybe that's an exaggeration. They'll wish they did though.

Happy eating!






Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At October 17, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

You know, we often make what most people would consider "side dishes" as main dishes. As long as you're getting protein, carbs, etc., the rest of the day, what's the big deal, right? People are so attached to that meat & potatoes mindset!

The picture you took looks like something they'd serve at a fancy restaurant! I love asparagus & mushrooms. :)

 
At October 18, 2011 at 3:19 AM , Blogger Leslie said...

I am super jealous. I can't sleep (it's 4:16 a.m.!!!!!) and I spent about half the night looking at recipes thinking about what I could make and then properly dehydrate - or if I could dehydrate the ingredients and then make it quickly after rehydrating. Oh my goodness - I would love this to be in the list but I don't think the overallness of the dish would work but I would gladly eat it now or with a cow (rhymes with now). I MISS YOU!

 

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home