This Page

has been moved to new address

Giant Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Eclecticisms: Giant Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Giant Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

Fall is wonderful for many reasons. The sun beats down warm through the crisp, cool air, smells of leaves and  plants preparing for their hybernation are all around, you can start picking out your Halloween costume and best of all.... it's finally cool enough to wear clothes that will hide any gut you get from eating baked goodies! Ok, I kid, I kid. Well, only sort of.

I'm not big into symmetry when it comes to baking cookies.

This is a cookie that is absolutely delicious but also filling and semi-healthy. Healthy is relative here though- let's not kid ourselves. You're eating a cookie, not a vegetable. I added flax seed to the recipe for added health benefits though, and that counts for something, right?! These are the only cookies (or food, really...) that I can nibble on over the course of an hour and feel satisfied. (They're filling enough for b-fast!)  This recipe makes 14 large cookies at 345 calories each.


I think these cookies can be summed up by what a co-worker told me after trying one. "You should open a cookie shop." Make these- you won't be disappointed!

Recipe from The New Baking Book. I love this book not only because it's full of amazing recipes, but because it offers tons of tips and tricks, including substitutions. (See below for the apple pie spice substitution it gives.) The recipe uses cherries, but I accidentally bought cherry infused cranberries. (Damn it.) Any dried berries or raisins will do.


Ingredients
 
1/2 Cup shortening
1/2 Cup butter
3/4 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
2 tsp apple pie spice*
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 Cups flour
2 1/2 Cups regular rolled oats
2 Tbs flaxseed meal (I added this)
1 1/2 Cups dried berries
1 tsp finely grated orange zest

* Apple pie spice substitute:
1 tsp= 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp all spice
dash of cloves or ginger
Since this recipe calls for 2 tsp apple pie spice, be sure to double this.


Grease or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Pre-heat oven to 375.

Using your mixer, beat shortening and butter together for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat on high until fluffy.





Using a wooden spoon, mix remainging ingredients in.





Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop the batter onto cookie sheets and pat down so the cookie is about 4" diameter. Place cookies about 3" apart. (I always put them closer because a) I'm too lazy to bake more batches b) I'm too lazy to wash more dishes c) I'm a hardcore rebel at everything I do.)







Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden. The original recipe calls for 8-10 but I found that wasn't enough time. Keep your eye on them, as all ovens differ.



Let stand 1 min and transfer to wire rack to cool.

Eat and enjoy!

Happy baking!




Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At October 10, 2011 at 6:15 PM , Blogger Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

These look awesome. I love big chewy cookies! And cranberries! And even cherry-infused cranberries!

 

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home