This Page

has been moved to new address

Biscuits and Veggie-Sausage Gravy

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Eclecticisms: Biscuits and Veggie-Sausage Gravy

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Biscuits and Veggie-Sausage Gravy

I can't remember the first time I tried biscuits and gravy. I know it was at a friends house when I was in my early teens- but I do remember thinking that I'd been cheated for too many years out of one of the best breakfast foods around. (To be fair, I think almost all breakfast foods are amazing. Still, I'm passionate about the food I like!) McCormick makes a gravy mix that is vegetarian (not sure if it's vegan, but I'm doubting it) but as much as it was nice to relive biscuits and gravy that way a couple years ago, it just wasn't the same. At all.


A couple of days ago I was browsing through some of my favorite blogs and saw a delicious looking veggie b-fast recipes which got my gears turning. What could I make that wouldn't be a repeat on a past post, and would also be delicious and relatively fast and easy to make? I had my doubts that using vegetarian meat substitute would work for this recipe, since it seems to have meat grease as its heart and soul, but it really does work wonderfully. I'm SO glad I tried it out, and will definitely makes this again!

My recipe isn't exactly original, but I winged it based on 5 or 6 others (some veggie, some not) that I found and compared. I guess it's "my version".


Veggie- Sausage Gravy

Ingredients

1 bag (12 oz) Morning Star Meal Starter Crumblers (or another sausage substitute, such as GimmeLean)
*I only had a little over half a bag, so I threw in a veggie burger (MS Grillers) which worked just as well.
Vegetable or Canola Oil, approx 3-4 Tbs)
Paprika (to taste, approx 1 tsp)
Onion powder (to taste, approx 3/4 Tbs)
Garlic salt (to taste, approx 1 Tbs)
Black Pepper (to taste)
Flour (approx 1/4 Cup)
Soy milk (approx 1/2 - 2/3 Cup)

Begin by pre-heating your oven and getting some fancy, store bought buttermilk biscuits in the oven. (AKA Pillsbury.) You can make your own of course, but even though I'm a cooking snob and hate using pre-made stuff, I caved. I wasn't gonna make those from scratch on a 90 degree day!

For those of you who don't know, I'm extremely jumpy, especially when it comes to loud popping noises. When it came time to open the biscuits, I realized this might cause an issue, as I had flashbacks to childhood Thanksgivings where the cans of rolls were popped open. Let's just say I spent a good 5 minutes thinking about the best way to open them with the least amount of noise and discovered a knife and gritted teeth don't make it a plesant experience. I screamed at the top of my lungs when that thing popped open! I swear, it sounded like a gun shot.


Add oil in a large pan over medium, medium-high heat. Add "meat" and cook until completely defrosted and warm.


Add all seasonings (be liberal, but taste test so as to not over-do!).


Once the "meat" is thoroughly browned, sprinkle in enough flour to soak up any grease/oil. Gradually add milk (about 1/4 Cup to start), mixing well. Bring to a boil and stir constantly.


Keep adding flour and milk alternately, always bringing the milk to a boil, until the gravy is to a consistency of your liking.





Finally, serve over those hot biscuits and enjoy! I hope you love this veggie take on a breakfast classic as much as I did.

Happy Eating!


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At July 7, 2011 at 7:40 AM , Blogger Miriam said...

I agree! The first time I ever made veggie sausage gravy I fell in love. It IS actually quite tasty! Looks great :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

 

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home