This Page

has been moved to new address

Jicama

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Eclecticisms: Jicama

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Jicama

Wondering what was on our menu for Mexican dinner + game night this weekend? Here ya go! (Everything listed is homemade, though not all by me.)

Guacamole
Pico de Gallo
Tomatillo Salsa

Jamaica
Sangria

Pork tacos
Chicken mole tacos
Veggie "gound beef" taco filling
Jicama
Refried black beans

Flan cheesecake
Rice pudding


Apparently, I'm one of the few people in Chicago who had no idea what jicama is. Jicama (aka Yambean) is a vegetable from Mexico and South America whose texture and taste is a cross between an apple and a potato. It's packed with fiber and vitamin C, so it's super good for you! Jicama has a lovely flavor on its own, but when simply garnished with lime jiuce and chili pepper is really takes on a whole new dimension.

Here are the super simple steps to making this dish. (Thanks for this, Derrick!)


Ingredients

Jicama
Fresh Limes
Chili Powder


First, peel the skin off the jicama and cut it into finger-like pieces.



 Put them into a large Ziplock bag. Next, squeeze the juice of several limes (enough to throughly coat the jicama) into the bag and shake it up. Allow to macerate for at least an hour or two.


Serve sprinkled with chili powder.

Sorry there isn't another picture... sevring dinner got pretty crazy!

That's it! These are great to munch on as a snack, too. (Though popcorn will still be my #1 choice for movie food.)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At January 26, 2011 at 2:59 PM , Blogger Danielle @ Happenings of the Harper Household said...

New follower from Where in the World are You Wednesday! Would love a follow back at www.HappeningsoftheHarperHousehold.blogspot.com

 
At January 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

I have never tried jicama before--it sort of terrifies me. Is this fear unjustified? :)

 
At January 26, 2011 at 7:55 PM , Blogger BEadECLECTIC said...

Totally unjustified! It's super tasty!

 
At January 27, 2011 at 11:34 AM , Blogger Carrie said...

I am very impressed with your menu. Sounds like it was delicious!! We were married in Mexico and I swear I ate the best food in my life. Plus my husband & I love to indulge in authentic Mexican whenever possible Can't wait to go to Italy someday ;)

 

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home