This Page

has been moved to new address

Refried Black Beans

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Eclecticisms: Refried Black Beans

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Refried Black Beans

Last Saturday, my friend Derrick and I hosted a dinner and game night for just over 20 friends. I had a last minute panic attack and felt there was something "missing". I love making Frijoles Negros con Arroz (black beans and rice) but the way I make it is Cuban style, and we were cooking all Mexican foods. Not wanting to stray from the theme, I instead decided to make a dish that I understand is popular in southern Mexico, refried black beans. I didn't follow a recipe here, but did look at a couple for ideas and info. They turned out REALLY good and they're super filling! We had enough food, but I'm glad we had them as back up, and to help complete our delicious meal. The next time you get stuck and aren't sure what to have as a side, give these a try!

Ingredients
*Measurements all based on personal taste and how many you'd like to serve.

Olive Oil
Black beans
Garlic
Onion
Cumin

This was the biggest can of beans, EVER!

Start by sauteeing the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat, until the onions begin to appear translucent. Then add the beans (including the liquid from the can).



Continue cooking until the beans are hot, or about 5 minutes. Now, use a potato masher to crush them up well.



Continue to cook over low/medium heat until they thicken to the desired consistency, or about 30-45 minutes. I worried they were too watery (I didn't know how long it would take to thicken) so I made a roux out of flour and olive oil to help the process along. It was probably unnecessary, but it's good to know you can always fall back on it!


That's it! Serve as a side or on tacos or chips. Super easy, right?

Enjoy!



Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At January 25, 2011 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

so easy. so making this for my next taco night with the hubs! =)

xoXOXo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

 
At January 27, 2011 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Julee said...

This is simplicity at its best! Showing that dinner can be gourmet, on a budget and easy peasy! LOVE IT!

 

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home