This Page

has been moved to new address

Strawberry Bread

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Eclecticisms: Strawberry Bread

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Strawberry Bread

Yes, you read that right... strawberry bread! Strawberries have been on sale and super ripe lately, so I looked up another strawberry recipe. This bread is fantastic! It's moist, flavorful and the recipe makes two loaves, so you'll have plenty to share.

I got this one off All Recipes, which is quickly becoming a favorite site of mine!

Ingredients

2 cups fresh strawberries
3 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans (I left these out. I don't think they're necessary!)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans. I used two different bread pans because I only had one of the standard size (the other was 8 x 4 1/2 x 3 1/2) ) and found that the non-standard size made a better loaf, at least in my opinion. Both were good, but the smaller one just seemed moister.




Slice strawberries, and sprinkly with about 2 Tbs sugar. Set aside (and try not to eat them all!).



Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in large bowl. I tried to deviate from my "find or make a face!" and made a poor attempt at a peace sign...



Blend oil and beaten eggs into the delicious strawberries and sugar mixture. This part almost made me sad... those gorgeous berries were all oily and eggy now. Ew.



Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, and mix until batter is smooth. I've always added the dry ingredient in gradually, not the other way around... but I trusted the recipe and it worked fine!



Divide batter into pans. I also sprinkled a bit of raw sugar on the top. Yum!



The recipe says to bake for 45 to 50 minutes, but I let mine go about 65-70 minutes. After the suggested time the loaves were still a bit raw in the middle.

Let cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn loaves out, and cool completely. Don't try to cut into them until they're cool... I made that mistake and it was a mess!


Bon Appitite!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At April 13, 2010 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Sarah West Ervin said...

Yum, yum YUM! I have to try that!

<3 Sarah Westervin
www.westervin.com

 
At April 14, 2010 at 7:57 AM , Blogger BEadECLECTIC said...

I found some interesting stuff...

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080307221035AAAlNvo

Thanks, "Dave C"!

With a cake, you want to mix all the dry ingredients together before adding the wet.
Why?
Flour contains gluten. Gluten is what gives bread structure and toughness (french bread), but for cakes you don't want a lot of structure. Flour gluten is activated when it comes in contact with water and you start mixing. The idea of dry first then add the liquids reduces the chances of gluten forming from over mixing.

Also, the cake leavening is usually baking powder. Baking powder starts reacting when it gets wet. You want the reaction to occur close to when your going to put the batter in the oven. Start mixing too early, the reaction starts to fizzle out too soon and your cake ends up a little dense.

For pasta making, you typically make a well and knead the dough directly on the counter top. Saves on washing extra mixing bowls, but unlike a cakes you want to form a lot of gluten so the pasta has some structure.

So mixing all at once or dry then add wet depends upon what you're making. If it's something that you want light and tender (for example, a cake) you typically mix the dry and add the liquid last.

 
At April 16, 2010 at 10:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks awesome!! I am a huge fan of Allrecipes, too. I love the reviews!

 

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home